How to Start a Small Business Blog: Key Steps to Building Your Online Presence
Starting a business blog can seem like an intimidating task, especially when you’re starting out on your own and don’t have much networking or business experience. But did you know that having your own business blog also has the potential to increase your company’s visibility, drive more traffic to your website, and help you build credibility as a thought leader in your industry? Having a blog is one of many small business ideas that can be a great way to get started with little risk.
If you haven’t already heard the term “small business blog” before, it might sound scary and like something only large corporations have time for. However, even if you own just a small retail store or freelance consulting firm, writing and maintaining a blog is one of the easiest ways to give people more insight into who you are as an individual or company. It also gives them another way to find out about new products or services that you offer.
What’s the point of a small business blog?
When you think of a blog, you might think of something super-niche related to a hobby someone likes or an expertise they have. But an effective business blog is a great way to get your products and/or services in front of more potential customers and clients, while also helping you to humanize your brand.
For example, let’s say you own a custom furniture company that sells high-end dining room tables. One way to get your name out there is to write blog posts about the types of woods you use, the design trends you try to stay on top of, and the best ways to care for your furniture.
Offering this kind of original content to readers can help them feel more connected to your brand and may even help them make better purchasing decisions. If someone searches for “dining room table wood types” and you have a blog post on the topic, your blog will be one of the top search results. That could bring an extra source of revenue for your company.
How to start a small business blog
Before you get started, be sure to set some general blogging goals for yourself. By having a plan, you’ll be better able to create a consistent blog that resonates with your target audience. Here are a few examples of blogging goals:
- Reinforce your brand – Branding is more than just a logo: It’s a promise to your customers that your product or service will solve their problems. Your blogging goals could include making sure that your articles are consistent with the tone of your brand promise and that they help your readers understand who you are and what you do.
- Grow your email list – Many bloggers use their blog like a lead magnet: a free but valuable piece of content designed to get people’s names and email addresses. Then, you can use those contact details to send out future blog posts and product updates.
- Get more traffic to your website – A blog can help you rank higher in search engines and drive more traffic to your site. You can do this by using strong keywords in your content and making sure you have a proper blog theme and title.
Step 3: Define your blogging goals
As we just discussed, your blogging goals are the overall goals you have for your blog in general. Once you’ve nailed down your goals, it’s time to define your content goals. What type of content do you want to focus on? What specific topics do you feel will resonate with your readers? Once you’ve nailed down your blog goals, you’re ready to start writing!
Step 4: Write!
Once you’ve got an idea of what you want to write about, it’s time to write! Here are a few suggestions to help you get started writing:-
- Find your voice – The best blogs are those that let you be yourself and let your personality shine through. If you are a hardcore techie and want to write about the latest tech news, then you should do that!
- Read other blogs – One of the best ways to get inspired to write on a consistent basis is to read other blogs and get used to their writing style. After you’ve read a few, you’ll begin to notice what type of content gets shared the most and what gets people talking.
- Come up with a posting schedule – One of the best ways to keep your readers interested in your blog is to post consistently. A good rule of thumb is to try and post once a week.
Starting your own business blog is a great way to build your brand and get more visibility in your industry. To do this, you’ll want to pick a blogging platform and then come up with some goals and topics to start writing! Once you’ve gotten started, you’ll discover how easy it is to build a community around your blog. And as your readership grows, so will your business.
Now that you’re ready to start a business blog, the next step is picking the right platform to host and publish your blog. Luckily, we’ve done the legwork for you and put together this guide to the best business blog platforms on the market.