SMS marketing: what it is and how to put it into practice
SMS marketing is a very interesting strategy for brands that want to impact consumers quickly and effectively . It makes it a good option to surprise people in a short time. After all, 90% of text messages are read in less than 3 minutes and that translates to higher sales.
What is SMS Marketing?
It is a technique that uses SMS sending with the intention of impacting the consumer using professional and instant messages . These short messages are intended to communicate exciting opportunities, updates, offers, and alerts to customers.
Although other platforms have made great progress, the reality is that SMS is still very effective and is a strategic resource to be used in marketing .
What is SMS marketing used for?
They can be used in various ways. Some of the cases where it is a good idea to send bulk SMS are:
Short-term promotions from retailers or e-commerce
Promotions and coupons are a good way to attract more people to the store or website . If a promotion is carried out for a limited time, it is convenient to reach a greater number of individuals and SMS is a perfect channel for this.
Urgent updates on events or customer orders
In an event there can be changes in its planning and execution. The more people attend the event, the more complicated it is to communicate the information. With SMS this is solved, since cancellations, changes or updates are quickly reported .
If appointments are given in a business, it’s frustrating when some customers forget appointments and are late or don’t show up at all. That not only affects the agenda, but also in having been able to give that space of time to another person. One solution is to send SMS to make sure clients don’t forget their appointment .
What are the advantages of SMS in your strategy?
We can find several advantages when implementing SMS in our Marketing strategies , apart from the well-known cost-benefit.
- It has a high open rate . Its advantage is that it is delivered in seconds and has an opening rate of 98%. In addition, it is necessary for success that the message is clear, direct and concise.
- Get a more attractive company . Sending the messages is a way to show customers that the company knows about trends and developments.
- Help build customer loyalty . We can send customers texts with relevant information, promotions on specific dates, etc. to get more loyalty.
Tips to optimize the sending of SMS Marketing
We can create an SMS marketing campaign taking into account a series of important steps:
- Define the objectives – It is not a question of sending SMS messages right and left, but knowing what we want to communicate in the message. In other words, before starting the campaign, the goal that is expected to be achieved must be established.
- Create your customer database – If you already know the objective to achieve with your SMS Marketing campaigns, the next thing is to create a customer database that wishes to receive this type of communication. If customers are not asked for permission, we could incur a crime.
- Remember that you only have 160 characters for your content – The SMS Marketing has a maximum of 160 characters, so it is necessary that the message be concise and direct, always including a link to unsubscribe from the service to give the client the possibility of canceling the sending of messages. SMS at any time.
- Do not abuse the sending of SMS – If you send too many SMS, there may come a time when customers feel it as a nuisance and even more so if you have not asked for their consent to send them the messages. Moreover, it can even be considered spam.
- Study well what to put in your SMS – Many times it is not necessary to offer promotions, it is enough to make the customer feel important so that they understand that the offer is not for everyone. An SMS also gets feedback to improve the service and learn about customer satisfaction.
- Analysis and Tests – After developing and applying the SMS Marketing project, it is convenient to analyze what has worked well, what has not, and correct errors. We can evaluate criteria to know if a campaign has been successful or not, such as the click rate, conversions and bounces.
In conclusion, SMS Marketing campaigns have a high success rate and can work perfectly combined with other channels. But we must also take into account certain elements such as schedules or the way we address the client so that it works correctly.