Night vision in the automotive industry
New technologies are changing our lives beyond recognition. What was only a dream yesterday is today a reality that we perceive as something ordinary. This has led to the fact that nowadays, no one can be surprised by night optics (glasses, binoculars, night vision scopes), virtual reality devices, artificial intelligence, and robotic technology. All these achievements of mankind are quickly being introduced into various promising industries, which, of course, include the automotive industry. One of the key trends of our time is equipping vehicles with NV systems.
Where did it all begin?
The symbiosis of cars with NV technologies originated slightly over 20 years ago. At this time, the first mass-produced cars were produced in the USA, in the management of which various NVDs were integrated. It was the most straightforward equipment, with several thermal sensors in the design and a computer system that read the data from them. Such sensors were mounted on a radiator grill and designed to detect heat waves emanating from all heated objects (living beings, people, and running vehicle engines). Further, the information was subjected to comprehensive processing, and a two-dimensional colorless image was displayed uniquely. Light areas on it indicated the presence of heated objects near the car, and dark areas showed cold ones.
Integrating NV technologies into the operation of cars was not a revolutionary discovery. However, this event led to the further introduction of NV into the automotive industry. A few years later, the well-known automakers of Japan and Germany were able to understand the prospects of this direction. They used American development to introduce specific innovations as a basis for their new products. The optimal solution was to include an active IR system in the design. It consisted of a unique camera and a small projector. The latter formed infrared rays, reflected from objects surrounding the car and returned to the camera lens. At the next stage, the collected data were subjected to various manipulations, resulting in the creation of a sufficiently high-quality image. It was also colorless but far ahead of its predecessor in clarity and detail.
By the mid-2000s, adding NV technology to a car had become a real trend. Many well-known automakers began to use it on their products. They all brought something new, trying to surprise potential buyers and get ahead of the competition. This rivalry has led to rapid improvements in NV technology. After five years, the first unmanned vehicles began to appear, in which night vision was actively used.
Application of NV technology in cars
The increase in the number of accidents has led to the need for the widespread use of NV devices on cars. This accelerated the technology integration process and made it possible for everyone to experience all its privileges. Nowadays, night vision is used by vehicle owners in many ways, each of which positively affects the safety of driving on dark roads.
Ways to use NV on cars:
- Travel in complete darkness. Even the absence of lighting will not be the reason for the refusal of the trip. With night vision, driving will be almost as safe as during the day. In this case, the driver can detect pedestrians and various vehicles long before approaching them, giving a certain amount of time to make the necessary decisions. This will minimize the risk of accidents and save many road deaths.
- Driving in adverse weather. Night vision can come in handy when driving on dark roads and in adverse weather. In such a situation, NV technology will improve visibility even when the car is in the epicenter of snowfall or rain. Modern developments will allow you to see pedestrians and other road users.
- Improve driver safety on wide roads. NV in a car allows you to increase the field of view and make visible that side of the road that headlights cannot illuminate. The difference in performance is significant enough that a driver with integrated NV can see pedestrians and other vehicles on any stretch of a broad highway.
- Improved visibility of road boundaries. Many accidents occur due to collisions with cars parked at the curb and the lack of a quality transition between the asphalt canvas and the surface following it (gravel, soil, grass, etc.). It is enough to use the capabilities of night vision to reduce the likelihood of various adverse outcomes. It will make visible the boundaries of the road and help the driver stay within the limits of the asphalt surface.
- Increasing comfort. NV technologies on cars significantly affect the convenience of not only the driver but also the passengers. Without their use, trips along a dark road can lead to stressful situations that can negatively affect the general condition of a person. In addition, night vision allows you to see a clear image of events occurring on the road. This reduces eye strain and enables you to focus on safe driving.
How will night vision change the cars?
NV has a significant impact on cars produced today. It increases their safety, enhances comfort, and makes traveling in places without high-quality lighting possible. However, the effect of this technology will become even more significant in the future. The main direction of modernization will be the creation of unmanned vehicles. They already exist, but so far, they need help to replace drivers as efficiently as possible. Work on this problem is being carried out quite actively, so a real breakthrough can be expected in the next decade.
The latest developments in the field of NV considerably change the technology itself. It gradually becomes perfect and accessible to everyone. All this will affect the cars into which the NV system is integrated. They will become progressively affordable, and most people can purchase them. Qualitative changes are expected in the capabilities of NV. Thanks to them, the range of devices will increase, the field of view will change for the better, and many other indicators will improve.
The automotive industry is inextricably linked with night vision, which is gradually being integrated into the vehicle control system. Thanks to its capabilities, it can make night trips safer and avoid many unnecessary deaths. Further integration of NV technologies into the automotive industry is inevitable. Therefore, a lot of exciting and surprising things await us ahead.
In case you have found a mistake in the text, please send a message to the author by selecting the mistake and pressing Ctrl-Enter.
#Night #vision #automotive #industry